Re: help installing on powerbook6,8 w/ dead cd drive

Le dimanche 22 mars 2009 à 10:48 -0500, Ross Gohlke a écrit :
> I also looked into netbooting, but documentation is inconsistent and I
> could not find netbootable binaries.

I netbooted my powerbook to install Debian on it, and it went smoothly
(I already had an experience by netbooting some OpenWrt router ; I also
netbooted back my amd64 from my powerbook ... so I may be a bit more
experienced, but with some docs it goes ok)

The files used to netboot lenny and the documentation can be found
here :
http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst#netboot
I set up dhcp3-server, tftpd-hpa, and can then netboot my PB.

The hardest part was finding the correct way to configure some quirks of
Apple's way of netbooting. In the DHCP server config, you must specify
both next-server and server-identifier to the IP of your netboot server.
Also, setting a filename gets ignored by open-firmware's netbooting
code. So, the correct command to use when in OF on your PB :

boot enet:0,yaboot

This should be enough to get you running the debian installer.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need some more details.

Regards,
benjamin