osx > debian > osx problem

Hi,

I have a PowerBook 12" w/ 867MHz, it was running OS X for quite some time now. A couple of days ago, I decided to install Debian 5.0, replacing OS X. During the installation process, I also deleted the previous partition table, creating a swap-partition and a main partion for Debian. Presumably I have also deleted the Apple-boot-partion during this process.

After (unsucessfully) trying to configure wlan and x-windows, I decided that for my purposes OS X might be the easier to use system (ok, I admit that I was probably a bit lazy looking for solutions here ;p )

Anyway, now I have the following problem:

Booting the installer-DVD* for OS X 10.4 results in a kernel panic during the booting process. It states in the 1st line:

	panic(cpu 0 caller 0x002E5B9C): Unable to find driver for this
	platform: "PowerBook6,1".

Booting the installer-DVD* for OS X 10.5 works fine, at least until it says "preparing the installation": right thereafter I get the message, that it's not possible to install OS X 10.5 on this computer.

Installing OS X 10.3 works fine for some reason. However, I need 10.4 for a couple of applications... :(

*) both installer-DVDs originate from Intel-based MacBooks. However, the
   installation from these had already been working flawlessly before.

So here's what I've already tried and what didn't solve the problem:

- re-partitioning the HDD, using the Apple-boot-segment; both with
  another mac in target mode or from CD (10.3 and 10.5)

- resetting PVRAM by holding [Apple]+[ALT]+[P]+[R]

- entering "set-defaults", "reset-nvram" and "reset-all" in the
  firmware-shell

- installing 10.3 first and then booting from 10.4 or 10.5 installation
  DVDs

- applying Dylan McDermond's "Faking Out the Leopard Installer with Open
  Firmware" hack (http://lowendmac.com/osx/leopard/openfirmware.html)

I'd be really glad if someone on this list had an idea what could have gone wrong here. Maybe a problem with open firmware? Any similar experiences, any hints?

Many thanks,

  Chris

--
http://dubsquare.net