Re: Wifi configuration Debian Lenny Ibook G3

Hi Esteban,

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 12:51:29PM -0600, Esteban Monge wrote:
> I try connect to WiFi network in my work. Have WPA Personal Security with
> TKIP encryption.
[snip]
> My machine is a Ibook G3 800MHz with Airport Card.

The original Apple AirPort Card uses a Hermes chipset, which is supported by
the orinoco driver provided in mainline kernels.

WPA support was introduced into this driver at kernel 2.6.28-rc1.  As your
Debian Lenny system has 2.6.26, you're required to install a later kernel
version.  Firmware (9.42 or later) is also required to be downloaded to the
card to enable WPA operation.

Driver and firmware installation procedures for Lenny are available from the
Debian Wiki:
http://wiki.debian.org/orinoco

An example /etc/network/interfaces is shown, for use by wpa_supplicant.  In my
experience, you'll need to force TKIP operation to prevent initial usage of
CCMP, which is not currently supported.

Geoff