Re: software CPU throttling on powerpc

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 09:31:08PM +0100, Mich Lanners wrote:

[...]

> Quote:
> "Since that means the processor is running too fast, I looked for a way
>  to slow it down. And I've found one.... The G3 processors implement a
>  feature which is designed for power saving and temperature control. It
>  works by slowing down the rate at which instructions are fetched from
>  the instruction cache. This is achieved by writing a non-zero value to
>  the ICTC special register in the G3 processor."
>
> You might have to search for a way to control that register. Years ago I
> had coded kernel support for /proc/sys/kernel/ictc to change that
> register. Not sure it is in recent kernels; I have no G3 at hand to
> check.

Thanks for your answer, this ictc-thing seems promising, but, as you
write, the question now is how to control that register.

I'm on lenny 2.6.26-1.

/proc/sys/kernel/ has no ictc file.

$ ls /proc/sys/kernel/
acct			hung_task_warnings  ostype		 printk_ratelimit	 sched_migration_cost	      softlockup_thresh
cad_pid			keys		    overflowgid		 printk_ratelimit_burst  sched_min_granularity_ns     sysrq
core_pattern		maps_protect	    overflowuid		 pty			 sched_nr_migrate	      tainted
core_uses_pid		max_lock_depth	    panic		 random			 sched_rt_period_us	      threads-max
ctrl-alt-del		modprobe	    panic_on_oops	 randomize_va_space	 sched_rt_runtime_us	      version
domainname		msgmax		    pid_max		 real-root-dev		 sched_wakeup_granularity_ns
hostname		msgmnb		    poweroff_cmd	 sched_child_runs_first  sem
hotplug			msgmni		    powersave-nap	 sched_compat_yield	 shmall
hung_task_check_count	ngroups_max	    print-fatal-signals  sched_features		 shmmax
hung_task_timeout_secs	osrelease	    printk		 sched_latency_ns	 shmmni

--
        Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
Signature generated by Signify v1.14.  For this and more, visit http://www.debian.org/