Re: user without root privilege

Le Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:16:36AM +0000, the grv a écrit :
> Hi list. Sorry for my bad english.
> Into my powerbook 1,67, i have debian lenny testing with 2 user: normal user and root. I not istall GDM and i can open X with the command "startx". my problem is that the normal user not have a simple command as "ifconfig". Bash reply me that the command not exist!

Hello GRV,

this is a user question unspecific to powerpc, that has more chances to be
properly answered on a list like debian-user@lists.debian.org.

ifconfig is in the /sbin directory. When logged as root, your shell looks for
commands there, but not when logged as simple user. Therefore, you have to type
/sbin/ifconfig, or learn how to tell your shell to look in /sbin by
manipulating the PATH environment variable.

If you want to run ifconfig as root from your user account, we recommend to use
the "sudo" command. You can find some explanation in the Debian reference:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tune.en.html#s-sudo

It actually also contain something about the PATH:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tutorial.en.html#s-cmd-path

Have a nice day, and thank you for using Debian!

(And do not forget to ask your question on debian-user@l.d.o instead of this list next time.)

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan