why is numlock active when X starts? powerbook 1,6

hi folks,

Since a while, the numberlock activates when X starts. When the
numberlock is ON **only** the part of the keyboard where the numbers are
mapped (keys 789uiojklm,.) are working... You'll agree that is not very
useful to login, except if your username and password are only made of
numbers. :/

I've to press Numberlock(f6) to turn off the numberlock and then the
number keys get desactivated and my keyboard comes back to life fully! I
can now type my username and password to login.

How can I turn off the numlock when X starts?

I've a PowerBook5,6 running Debian testing.

I've found that others are experiencing the same problem:

Any ideas?

Sébastien

$ setxkbmap -print
xkb_keymap {
	xkb_keycodes  { include "macintosh+aliases(qwerty)"	};
	xkb_types     { include "complete+numpad(mac)"	};
	xkb_compat    { include "complete"	};
	xkb_symbols   { include
"pc+macintosh_vndr/us+inet(apple)+level3(enter_switch)+ca:2+group(alt_shift_toggle)"
};
	xkb_geometry  { include "macintosh(macintosh)"	};
};

part of the xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"kbd"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "powerbook"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us,ca(multi)"
#        Option          "XkbVariant"    "mac_nodeadkeys"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "grp:alt_shift_toggle"
EndSection