Re: G3 Beige Tower install help

Hi Stephen,

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 12:22:01 +0000
Stephen Allen <sda2@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> I would appreciate if the experts here could help me out -- Here's what I've tried so far;
>
> 	Using the Debian-Etch-PPC net install CD, I booted up with my MacOS 9 CD. However when booted with
> 	system CD, it can't see the Debian Net install cd if I put it in the scsi CD drive. If I reverse
> 	this, and put the MacOS 9 in the scsi CD player, it boots fine, but sill doesn't see the Debian
> 	net install cd, in the onboard ata CD Drive. So, I can't start the install.
>
> I don't have a Linux workstation available to make boot floppies; Can these boot floppies be made in MacOS
> ? If so how ? All the instructions I've been able to grep assume that one has a Linux box handy to make
> boot floppies. Do I need to go the boot floppy route, or should I be able to boot with the MacOS system
> CD, and then mount the Debian net install on the other drive ?

AFAICR you can't boot those systems using a standard install CD -- it
might have something to do with some parts of the boot code being
proprietary and as such not freely redistributable.

There are at least three ways to boot an Oldworld : quik, some utility
that piggy-backs on the MacOS bootloader (I can't recall the name), or
directly booting a COFF kernel image (I'm not even sure that one works
on the beige G3).

I personally use quik, but this might not be your best option :
if you want to go that route, search for posts similar to yours in the
archives -- I posted quite a lot of messages to the list at that time
(some years back, I fear). The MacOS utility is quite simpler to
install, but it requires MacOS, and is a bit of a hassle when you want
to update your kernel.

As for starting the installer, I fear you will have to use floppies
(yes, they still exist ;-)) -- look for something called "miboot", I
think that's what I used at that time.

Good luck,
Simon