Re: Very weird results with X.org and fresh sid install

On Sat, 31 May 2008 14:52:26 +0900
Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:

CP> Le Fri, May 30, 2008 at 07:43:08PM -0300, Rogério Brito a écrit :
CP> >
CP> > Anyway, the problem is the following: I have an iBook G3 600MHz
CP> > Late 2001 with 12" screen and an ATI Rage Mobility M3 card with
CP> > 8MB of memory and I *just* installed sid on this machine.
CP>
CP> Hi all,
CP>
CP> just for the record, I encountered this problem more than one year
CP> ago on an iBook of similar age. So the cause is probably not to be
CP> looked for in recent changes of the X packages.
CP>
CP> Have a nice day,

I've had the same issue on Ubuntu with similar hardware. As far as I can
tell there appears to be some problem with auto-detecting the screen's
capabilities (I also vaguely recall a discussion from a couple of years
back at least in which it was suggested that the wiring to the built-in
screen for iBooks of that era was "non-standard").

James

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |