Re: Very weird results with X.org and fresh sid install

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:
> Hi there. Here is an old-timer coming back to the list. :-)
>
> Since Apple has no love anymore for people with G3 hardware, I figured
> out that the way to go is to dump MacOS X. I have one major issue before
> I do that (actually, two, but the other one may have to be dealt with
> the kernel developers for the rt2x00 module).
>
> Anyway, the problem is the following: I have an iBook G3 600MHz Late
> 2001 with 12" screen and an ATI Rage Mobility M3 card with 8MB of memory
> and I *just* installed sid on this machine.
>
> I was quite surprised to see a really bad effect on the screen that is
> the use of only an area of 800x600 (while the native resolution of this
> screen is 1024x768) and the rest of the screen is black at the right and
> a mirror image of whatever is on the top of this 800x600 area at the
> bottom of the screen.
>
> This has never happened to me, since the days of using BenH's kernel
> (that is, since about the 2.4 era).
>
> You can see for yourselves the weird problem (which also affects Ubuntu)
> at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/224343
>
> (There are two photos of the sad situation at the bottom of the bug
> report).
>
> Is there anybody else with a similar problem here?
>

> Thanks in advance, Rogério Brito.
>
> --
> Rogério Brito : rbrito@{mackenzie,ime.usp}.br : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8
> http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito : http://meusite.mackenzie.com.br/rbrito
> Projects: algorithms.berlios.de : lame.sf.net : vrms.alioth.debian.org
>

> --

Funny, you call it a problem and I call it normal. This is all I've
known when installing Debian on my iBook. Except, in my case I didn't
get 'a nice big' 800x600 screen, I got a 640x480 screen that I could
just barely see enough to login and select a terminal. Anyways, to fix
it I do:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

I basically just accept all the defaults and then when it configures
the screen I select 'medium' mode 'I think' and then select
1024x768@60. Restart X and you're good to go.

Next problem?

Cheers,
/Bob