Re: IBM RS/6000 44P 170 Install

Yes ....Thanks

I am looking to get a Matrox G200 and test it. The 44P may become the new CNC workstation.

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 1:27 AM, Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:
I guess that this message was intended to be sent to the list instead of
being privately sent to me. It will surely help others with the
installation process.

Rhonda, Michel: how do I go about integrating these changes on the manuals
for lenny? I will provide patches for anything that I can.

Regards, Rogério Brito.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Benjamin Hoffman" <fight4port25@gmail.com>
To: "Rogério Brito" <rbrito@ime.usp.br>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 00:32:49 -0400
Subject: Re: IBM RS/6000 44P 170 Install

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:
Hi, Benjamin.

On Sep 09 2008, Benjamin Hoffman wrote:
> All I did was install the new firmware on the server and installed Debian
> using the debian-40r4a-powerpc-netinst.

Nothing else was needed? Can you provide further information on getting
the new firmware (From where? And how?) to update the appropriate
documentation?

> It went like any other install on x86 except yaboot instead of grub. It has
> been up for two weeks running a MYSQL database without issue.

Nice. I have updated the Lenny certification page
<http://wiki.debian.org/powerpcLennyReleaseRecertification>
to list your successful installation report.

> My thanks to all who contributed to this port and Ill be glad to help
> anyone installing Debian on this 44P.

It would be nice to have the documentation updated, so this would easy
the installation of other people on this machine.

Regards, Rogério Brito.

Here is a link to the firmware.  http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/firmware/gjsn?mode=1&mtm=7044-170

I used DOS and copied the floppy images on Win2K. The instructions on IBM's site are spot on.

I was using an old Wyse50 terminal to play with an outdated AIX and to install the firmware. Once the firmware was on I fired her up with the Debian disk and was able to boot from SMS, Auto Boot (if selected in Multiboot), and open firmware. The install prompt was up and I typed "install64 console=ttys0". The install took of and went well until the terminal window went nuts and filled with garbage. I realized that the Wyse50 cant handle anything but text. I then installed gtkterm on my x86 debian box and it was back up.  The remainder of the install was done using GTKTerm via serial. Yaboot installs on SDA1 and its finished. I cannot recall anything during the install that was out of the ordinary.

Once I Debian was up and running I installed Open SSH and manage her remotely.

IBM RS/6000 44P-170, 450 MHz Power3-II, 2x9 SCSI, CHRP

Thanks again.

Ben