Re: keyboard in Etch on powerbook

On Tue, Sep 02 2008, at 23:29 +0200, Piotr Kopszak wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have just installed Etch on Powerbook5,6 1.67 but cannot get Polish
> input in spite of choosing Polish locales as default, There are no
> problems with Polish fonts. I would be very grateful if you could help
> me enable Polish keyboard if it is somewhere in Etch or direct me to
> any additional resources where I could get one.

Just a few quick hints:

man loadkeys: should help at least for the console, maybe even X.

also:

ls /usr/share/keymaps/mac/ | grep pl
mac-pl_m-ext.kmap.gz
mac-pl_m-ext1.kmap.gz

The files above are part of the console-data package

man install-kmap (part of condole-common package) says:

 [ ... ]
 the problem is, most keymap files are  not  self-contained,  so  it
 does  not  help to just copy the selected file into the root partition.
 The best known solution so far is to expand the keymap file so that  it
 becomes  self-contained, and put it in the root partition.  That's what
 this tool does [ ... ]

So after reading the excerpt above I'm not sure any more whether it's
save to just copy some map below /usr/share/keymaps/mac/ to
/etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz (which I might have done, IIRC ...)

As to X:

For my German keyboard I have this in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (excerpt) :

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "de"
        Option          "XkbVariant"    "nodeadkeys"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "lv3:lwin_switch"

HTH

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--