Re: Yaboot

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 09:28:53AM -0600, Esteban Monge wrote:
> Hello People
>
> I dont know about this questions went formulated, but is possible add
> graphics to yaboot or boot menu similar to grub???

In short I would say no.  While it is tecnically possible it would
require a lot of coding!

> And i want a little manual with the yaboot compilation and installation...

The yaboot project's homepage is at: http://yaboot.ozlabs.org/ , and the
the yaboot INSTALL file says:
---
The fastest way to install ybin and yaboot is to run `make install'.

This will install the man pages in /usr/local/man by default and
ybin/mkofboot in /usr/local/sbin.  yaboot and ofboot will be
installed in /usr/local/lib/yaboot/.

you may change the install paths by setting variables ROOT, PREFIX and
MANDIR to make.  ie make ROOT=/ PREFIX=/usr MANDIR=/share/man (this is
only
intended for package maintainers.)

yaboot can be installed where you like but
/usr/local/lib/yaboot/yaboot is the first default location ybin will
look, followed by /usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot.

ybin needs hfsutils version 3.2.6 or later.

The man pages should be installed in /usr/local/man/man?/.  The *.8.gz
pages should be in /usr/local/man/man8/ and the *.5.gz page should be
in /usr/local/man/man5/.

If you need to remove ybin (say if your installing a debian package or
.rpm) you can do so by issuing the command `make deinstall'.
---

If you have specific questions about yaboot, try here or the yaboot
maailing list (https://ozlabs.org/mailman/listinfo/yaboot-users)

> And another thing, exist another boot loader diferent to yaboot???

I understand that GRUB2 supports some powerpc platforms, but I haven't
tested it nor do I really follow it's development.

Yours Tony

  linux.conf.au    http://www.marchsouth.org/
  Jan 19 - 24 2009 The Australian Linux Technical Conference!