Re: Not booting anymore MacOS9.2.2 after Etch install.(mac-fdisk output).

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 01:46:24PM -0700, alexandre suzuki wrote:
> cheetah:~# mac-fdisk --list /dev/hda
> /dev/hda
>         #                    type name
> length   base    ( size )  system
> /dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple
>    63 @ 1       ( 31.5k)  Partition map
> /dev/hda2        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh
>    54 @ 64      ( 27.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hda3        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh
>    74 @ 118     ( 37.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hda4           Apple_Patches Patch Partition
>   512 @ 192     (256.0k)  Unknown
> /dev/hda5               Apple_HFS untitled
> 4001792 @ 704     (  1.9G)  HFS
> /dev/hda6               Apple_HFS untitled 2
> 61440 @ 4002496 ( 30.0M)  HFS
> /dev/hda7         Apple_Bootstrap untitled
>  3907 @ 4063936 (  1.9M)  NewWorld bootblock
> /dev/hda8         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled
> 4101563 @ 4067843 (  2.0G)  Linux native
> /dev/hda9         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap
> 250001 @ 8169406 (122.1M)  Linux swap
> /dev/hda10             Apple_Free Extra
>  2433 @ 8419407 (  1.2M)  Free space
>
> Block size=512, Number of Blocks=8421840
> DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
> Drivers-
> 1: @ 64 for 21, type=0x701
> 2: @ 118 for 34, type=0xf8ff
>
> cheetah:~#
>
> I did not take any snapshot of the above before
> installing Etch,so
> I cannot compare.When I boot from /dev/hda7(configured
> dual-booting,
> if I click the m key --> MacOS9.2.2,the l key -->
> Etch),now I see
> a floppy icon with a blinking ? sign if try booting
> MacOS.

That looks about right. I don't have anything old enough
to run OS9 natively without digging out some old systems.
Have you tried booting from the OS9 CD and running Disk
Utility? It should have an "Update Drivers" selection
somewhere that may help out. It would be interesting to
see what the native MacOS tools say about the drive.

> PS: Not related to the above:In the powerpc Sarge,Etch
> when I try to switch to another console,Alt plus F2,F3
> etc. in text mode I cannot get access to a functional
> command prompt,is this a limitation of the architecture?

I don't think you've said what type of hardware you are
using. It's possible that there is a bug in the driver
for your video card. All I can say is that it works for me.
What exactly does it do in this case, and can you get
back to your graphical session from there?

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com