Re: Debian for PS3?

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 11:50:55AM +0100, Aurélien GÉRÔME wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 07:09:23PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> >   - PS3 Boot loader support
> >
> >       o There's no PS3 bootloader (otheros.bld) in Debian, which means you have
> > 	to use e.g. the one from the PS3 Linux Distributor's Starter Kit.  To
> > 	include an otheros.bld, e.g. kboot should be packaged, including the
> > 	infrastructure to build an otheros.bld.
> >       o Apart from this, there's no support in the installer for setting up
> > 	/etc/kboot.conf.
> >
> >   - PS3 utility packages:
> >       o ps3-utils (new package; an older version is already packaged by Ubuntu
> > 	as ps3pf-utils)
>
> I intend to package those inside the Debootloaders project with
> Arthur Loiret (he is CC'ed). We still need to file the official ITP
> bugs though.
>
> Ubuntu already did work on that field, but the quality of their
> packages is not suitable for Debian, to my mind. We deserve better,
> so we will have to do better. :]

I am interested to know what specifically you think is wrong with
Ubuntu's PS3 packaging. Admittedly we were in a hurry for some of it,
but I'm not aware of any major problems. Perhaps you could elaborate.

(kboot is going to be a pretty nasty hack whatever way you slice it, due
to being a boot loader with a built-in Linux kernel. We had to
compromise somewhat due to the current kernel and the kboot code we had
available not being friends.)

Cheers,