Re: Will using kernel 2.6.24 make my laptop faster?

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 22:43 -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:

> As I understand, the new kernel has a new scheduler (CFS). Haven't
> seen much benchmarks but the early ones I have seen showed some fairly
> decent performance gains.

CFS was in 2.6.23 already and actually has some issues in 2.6.24, see
http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2008-January/050818.html .

Probably the most significant addition for powerpc in 2.6.24 is
CONFIG_NO_HZ support, which may help reduce CPU power consumption when
the system is mostly idle.

> And finally, there should be no risks in compiling a new kernel right?
> If I am not mistaken, I can choose (at start-up) which one to boot
> from.

Sure.

> Actually one more thing, any benefits to doing this? Besides the geek
> satisfaction that all of us get from compiling a new kernel.

I think self-compiling kernels is generally overrated. I'd suggest
trying pre-packaged kernels from sid first.