Re: Correct Linux Kernel for Sonnet G4 in PowerMac 7500 with Sarge?

Dear Jeffrey,

OK, had some time to think back a little bit.  Here goes:

(1) Check that the BootX "Options" dialogue has the L2 cache setting
turned off.   Grabbing the wrong cache settings means the CPU will
try to use your microphone as memory (or maybe your clock).  There's
a handy MacOS utility called "Grab G3 Cache Settings" that you can
use to properly set and enable the cache later.

(2) I used 2.4.27 kernels primarily, and played a bit with the benh
source tree.  However, I have used 2.6.18 and it works just as well.

(3) What are your ears telling you about the boot process?  I know,
I know, assuming you have working ears might be a leap, but I'm not
meaning to offend or upset, just help.

(4) What the previous owner did was totally standard, and the optional
root partition isn't optional.  You need a copy of the kernel on the
MacOS partition, and another on the linux partition, and they have to
be duplicates.  If I recall correctly, the ramdisk has a 2.4 kernel,
so trying to do both `Use the RAMdisk ` and ` use my specified kernel '
could be a contradiction.  When you install a new kernel in oldworld
linux, you have to remember put a copy of it on the MacOS parttion in
"System\ Folder:Linux\ Kernels".

Hoping that makes things better,

Peter Rooney