Re: ibook dying

2007/10/11, Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at>:
> Erm, but well, shouldn't it has a seperate battery just for that case?
> Does one have to set the time again each time they may change the
> battery? At least from PC boards I'm used to that the BIOS has its own
> battery for that things, haven't opened my powerbook yet, though.

It does have a separate battery for keeping track of the system time,
I think... In fact, when you properly shut down the computer and
remove the battery, everything works fine next time you boot.

The problem comes when the battery completely depletes, and the
computer gets shut down abruptly (no shutdown routine, no sleep). For
some reason, the clock now gets misconfigured.

Took me a while to figure out that this was what was causing GNOME not to start.

Denís.

--
Denís Fernández Cabrera
mailto://denis@ceibes.org