Re: Beryl - do I dare?

On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 05:41 +0000, Jack Malmostoso wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 22:00:22 +0200, Andrew J. Barr wrote:
>
> > What graphics card? Compiz runs fine on my ATI RV350 with the free
> > radeon driver (well, what else?) and these patches:
> >
> > http://people.freedesktop.org/~daenzer/aiglx-zero-copy-tfp/
> >
> > You _need_ these for AIGLX compositing and a discrete graphics card
> > (e.g. it's own memory). You will want to throw your nice shiny Powerbook
> > across the room if you don't have them and you try to run Compiz or
> > Beryl. Trust me.
>
> I am using the normal xorg packages in unstable and compiz works just
> fine on my iBook with the ATi 9200. Am I missing something?

Not at this time, as nobody's ported the 3D driver patches to the r200
driver yet.

> What should these patches provide?

Instead of doing GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap by reading pixels from the
pixmap then passing them to glTex(Sub)Image, which results in the 3D
driver (re-)uploading the whole texture to video RAM regardless of how
many pixels actually changed (which is only usable forcing pixmaps into
system RAM with Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" / "FBTexPercent" "100",
effectively disabling 2D acceleration with a compositing manager), they
just point the 3D driver to the offscreen pixmap memory for direct
texturing with EXA (not possible for various reasons with XAA).

> The only "problem" I have is that on resume from sleep I get weird
> artifacts around the gnome panel, but that's about it. Restarting compiz
> makes them disappear.

I think that should be fixed in xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.6.191-1 in
experimental.