Re: Responsiveness issue(s)

Jack Malmostoso wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:50:30 +0200, Andrew J. Barr wrote:

have a 7200RPM 100GB drive in my Thinkpad that I'd prefer to use in the
PowerBook if it would help speed it up...

It sure would. But be prepared to quite an adventure if you want to replace your PB's HD on your own. Unfortunately it's nowhere like the Macbooks, as you have to disassemble all of your laptop.

Well, darn it. I lied.

The Thinkpad disk is a 5400 RPM disk drive (at least I think so, the model number starts with HTS54 instead of HTS72...), and the PB's 'hdparm -t' (buffered reads) numbers basically match that of the Thinkpad (30-32 MB/sec on the PowerBook vs. 34-39 MB/sec on the Thinkpad). However, the interesting part is that the 'hdparm -T' (cached reads) numbers are different--Thinkpad gets at least 600 MB/sec, usually closer to 620 MB/sec, PowerBook gets 400 MB/sec or so. Which number is more meaningful? And would swapping disks let me take the 'hdparm -T' number to the PB?

Also, the Etch release is a decent bit snappier than my previous mishmash of unstable, experimental and a custom kernel, that's a lesson to be a bit more careful in the future with what I'm installing. I may still upgrade to unstable or at least lenny when that becomes a bit more interesting.

Thanks,
Andrew