Re: Responsiveness issue(s)

Jack Malmostoso wrote:
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 03:20:09 +0200, Andrew J. Barr wrote:

The kernel
is a custom 2.6.20.6 kernel with preemption installed (I note that
because it's not in the default powerpc kernel from etch)

Preemption on PPC is (was?) a bad bad idea.
Try using the Debian stock kernel for a while and see if things get better.

As for the rest, check that DMA is activated on your hard drive. Which is extremely slow anyway... I have an iBook so I know what I'm talking about :)

DMA is indeed active. udma5, accoridng to hdparm.

However, I am going to to install the Etch release and see how that performs. I have a friend who just did so with an iBook (G3, I think) and is quite pleased. If he was having these problems I think he would have spoken up.

Andrew