Re: performa 6400/200 - installation doesn't recognize cdrom

--- Simon Vallet <debian-ppc_user@castalie.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 11:59:11 -0800 (PST)
> "Mr. Jan Hearthstone" <hearthstone11@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Are there any people who successfully installed
> Debian
> > on 6400/200?
>
> I did, some time ago, though, and on a 180MHz model,
> but it shouldn't
> be that much different.
>
> > I finally succeeded in booting using miboot
> floppies
> > (no other kind worked), the drivers copy well,
> it'd
> > seem, but the cdrom doesn't get recognized.
>
> I had to use miboot floppies too at that time, and
> AFAIR the CDROM is a
> SCSI model. It should be supported out of the box...
>
> > Is there any particular cdrom I should download
> that
> > would work?
>
> > I cannot use net install, as I have only a phone
> > jack--how hard would it be to get it replaced with
> an
> > ethernet card? What should I get to replace the
> phone
> > jack?
>
> Those models have a special "ComSlotII" used to
> plug-in a modem (what
> you currently have) or an Ethernet adapter. If you
> want to use this
> slot, you'll need a special Ethernet card for it
> (and those probably
> only exist in 10Mb/s versions), which you probably
> can find on Ebay or
> similar. My advice would be to use a regular PCI
> Slot and a common (PC)
> Ethernet adapter.
>
> HTH,
> Simon

Dear Simon,
would you,please elaborate on the CDROM's?
I downloaded and burned the following, but no luck.

http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian-cd/current/powerpc/iso-cd/

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/etch_di_rc1/powerpc/iso-cd/

ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/debian-cd/current/powerpc/iso-cd

It always ends up with no cdrom detected, and asking
for drivers.
Are there any more drivers I could get from somewhere?

The cd drive itself works OK in the 9.1 MAC OT that
there is on the machine (Performa 6400/200), I played
a music cd, and it showed on the desktop,
however--when I put in the iso Debian disk, I don't
see it on the desktop, and not knowing much about
Macs, I don't know how to mount it, and where to see
it.

I searched and it was suggested somewhere that I could
install from the HD, but how do I get to manipulate
the CD-ROM, if I don't see it on the desktop?

PPMI (please pardon my ignorance),
sincerely - Hearthstone.

WANTED: Programmers for Peace:
 http://www.modelearth.org/bodhiprog.html