Re: unable to install Mozilla-vlc plugin

--- Steffen Thoss <steffen@thoss4you.de> wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I'm trying to install the mozilla vlc plugin for my
> Debian unstable on
> my PowerBook to play some streaming video with
> Firefox.
> I always get the following message:
>
> takeda:~# apt-get install mozilla-plugin-vlc
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Some packages could not be installed. This may mean
> that you have
> requested an impossible situation or if you are
> using the unstable
> distribution that some required packages have not
> yet been created
> or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> Since you only requested a single operation it is
> extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug
> report against
> that package should be filed.
> The following information may help to resolve the
> situation:

>   mozilla-plugin-vlc: Depends: vlc-nox (=
> 0.8.6-svn20061012.debian-1)
> but 0.8.6-svn20061012.debian-1.1 is to be installed
> E: Broken packages
>
> Does that mean that I have to install
> 0.8.6-svn20061012.debian-1 to get
> the plugin insta
> lled ? If so how can I prevent apt-get installing
> version 1.1 and
> install version 1 of vlc-nox ?

one way could be to find the debian-1 version on the
debian package page and download it manually, if
it is there (maybe in testing...), install it with
dpkg -i *debian-1.deb before running the apt-get
as before.

maybe set your pins to testing for apt and do
the above way with your unstable install of the
plug in itself, is another way.

a third way is go to the vlc webpages. they have
ppc source patches for linux, i think. of course
you need to compile it and you need build tools for
that. but if you really like the latest version
that is the way to get it... (they may also have
binaries too, but older probably)

brian