Re: Debian has failed us

Charles Plessy wrote:
> How about releasing a RC1.5, then, with a 2.6.18 as similar as possible
> as the one forecasted in testing ?

Etch d-i installs etch; without forcing such a release to install
unstable, it would not be possible to use the 2.6.18 kernel currently in
unstable. If we point d-i at unstable, its prone to break all the time,
since unstable is, well, unstable. An installer that installs unstable
is also not a very valid etch "release candidate".

There are of course all kinds of ways to hack around this, but all of
them are suboptimal. For example, we could produce a hacked CD that
includes unstable's kernel. And updated version of everything it depends
on. And everything those dependencies depend on. But this would only
work for systems installed from CD. We could add a special apt
repository only for the kernel and stuff, but then we could have to have
a separate gpg key for that repository hacked into the installer as
well. Setting this up would take significant developer time, and that
would be time that does not in the end benefit the etch release at all.
In the end we would have to reverse all these changes and throw away all
that work to get an installer that is suitable for release with etch.

The best fix is to get the 2.6.18 kernel into testing.

--
see shy jo