Re: Migrating from iMac/powerpc to iMac/intel

Holger Levsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sunday 31 December 2006 04:02, Eduardo Trápani wrote:
>> I just wrote to debian-users because I need to move a whole debian box
>> from a powerpc iMac to an intel pc.  The problem is that there seems to
>> be platform specific files in use and that means that simply
>> reinstalling packages and copying /etc will not be enough.
>
> You need to identifiy those files that _seem_ to be platform specific.
>
> From my experience there are basically none. When my ibook broke, I
> installed the same packages on a i386 laptop, copied the configuration
> files and /home and kept working :-)
>
> "bacially none" because the bootloader config is different and I used a
> different partitioning, so fstab was different too...
>
> Stuff in /usr/local is likely to be platform specific, too. But not in
> /etc.
Me too had no problems migrating from a PowerBook G4 to MacMiniIntel. Half a
year ago installation was a little bit tricky, but I think nowadays it does
not present any major obstacle. (But I think that you still need to install
efi before trying to use the a recent build of the Debian CDs.)

Best regards

Niklaus Giger