Re: Installing Debian on a Beige G3 PowerMac (OldWorld)

Hi,

On Saturday 30 December 2006 07:33, Rick Thomas wrote:
> your machine won't boot til you re-key the options.  I find this
> prospect enough of a potential PITA that I strongly recommend the
> fourth option.
>
> The fourth and final boot loader option is MacOS-9 with a simple
> little extension called BootX (This is *not* the same BootX as you
> may be using to get your G3 to run MacOS-X.  This BootX was written
> by Benjamin Herrenschmidt, who does most of the heavy lifting porting
> work for Linux on PowerPC hardware.  (He also wrote miboot.)

Please not that Benjamin recommends not to use bootX if possible:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2006/07/msg00017.html

Bootx is mostly useful if you also want to boot mac os <=9, which is a even
more rare usecase nowadays then running these machines at all :)

If you only run linux, go with quik. (And for the troubles Rick mentiones,
have miboot floppies ready (available at http://layer-acht.org/d-i-miboot/)
and write down the steps needed to configure OF properly for your machine.

And while you're at it, share those steps :)

regards,
	Holger