Re: Installing Debian on a Beige G3 PowerMac (OldWorld)

On Dec 31, 2006, at 9:00 PM, Dana Sibera wrote:

On 30/12/2006, at 5:33:31PM, Rick Thomas wrote:

If you are OK with OS9 and BootX, I suggest you get a copy of the BootX 1.2.2 (latest -- vintage April, 2000) software from BenH's web page, http://penguinppc.org/historical/benh/ and read the documentation that comes with it. Once you've got that under your belt, we can proceed with the actual installation.

Even if Stephen doesn't respond, I'd love to know the exact steps others taken to get a standard Etch running on the oldworld G3, as I'm starting to think I'm messing something up, or at least missing out on a few kernel arguments vital to getting things running on the beige. I've tried a 5500, 6500, 6360, 6400 and two beige G3s in the last week with Etch kernels, either from fresh new installs or upgrading a working fresh Sarge install, and the best I can get from an Etch kernel is not finding the root filesystem after install, mostly the kernels just lock up before getting to the point where the penguin appears.

Dana

Hi Dana,

Are you interested in installing using the BootX with OS9 bootloader? If so, please read the BootX documentation that comes with the BootX package and at http://penguinppc.org/bootloaders/ bootx/ . Then download and burn a recent "businesscard" or "netinst" CD from http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch- latest/powerpc/iso-cd/ . Then get back to me and I'll help you walk thru the process. The same steps should work on any or all of the boxes you mentioned, but I recommend starting with the beige G3 as it will probably have the fewest "gotcha"s.

Happy 2007!

Rick