Re: wireless suddenly stopped [SOLVED]

On Dec 6, 2007 8:32 AM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 05 2007, at 19:14 -0700, Bob Lounsbury wrote:

> > > Changes done to your system settings before wireless broke?
> > >
> > > Did you install new software before wireless stopped working?
> > >
> > > *Provided* you didn't install new software or change settings:
> > >
> > > This is where I'd check the networking devices: Wireless router,
> > > wireless card etc.
> > >
> > > Do you still have some OSX installed? If yes: is wireless working on
> > > that system?
> > >
> > > Or do you have some Apple hardware testing DVD for your computer?
> > >
> > > What does
> > > grep eth /var/log/messages
> > > say after you tried to connect your computer to the wireless network
> > > (provided your radio card is called something like eth<whatever>) ?
> > >
> > > Sometimes even reinstalling some package might help, IIRC ... (?)
> > >
> > > Best Regards
> > > Wolfgang
> >

> > Sorry for the delayed response I've been traveling the past few days for work.
> >
> > As to the wireless problem, nothing was installed/changed/upgraded
> > before wireless stopped working.
> >
> > I am dual-booting OSX and yes the wireless is working perfectly there.
> > So I know there is no problem with the wireless card or network, only
> > Debian.
> >
> > I ran the grep command and eth2 is my wireless and it says: "localhost
> > kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth2: link is not ready".
>
> I haven't found definitions for this ADDRCONF acro anywhere, so I have
> to guess:
>
> How do you organize your wireless: DHCP?  - the answer might provide
> your router, and the wireless settings in /etc/ ..
>
> But I'm really not sure whether I can help here:
>
> I have given it up long time ago to set up wireless on Linux,
> it's simply too much work, and the outcome seems uncertain ...
>
> So others who got wireless working might come in here ....
>

> Best Regards
> Wolfgang
>
> --
> Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
> http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer
>
> Key: 0xE3037113
> http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on

Just for anyone that may have a similar issue. I reinstalled etch with
no success then after a bunch of googling a found a solution. Deleting
everything from /etc/network/interfaces except:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Now network-manager is showing wireless points and signal strength.

Cheers,
Bob