osd for spc function keys..

A simple question this time -
Though the function keys work perfectly fine themselves, I was looking
for a nice way to get on screen display of the special function keys
(brightness and sound) in a DE independent way. I think gnome does it.
I have seen Kubuntu doing it too. A quick google informed me about
gtkpbbuttons. Installing it, I did get a sufficiently decent OSD. It
comes with three "themes" (Classic, Crystal, MacOSX) too. Very decent.
Now the question, is this the only way? Or is there a better way?

Thanks,
--
Regards
PK