Re: wireless suddenly stopped

On Dec 4, 2007 2:39 PM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03 2007, at 17:02 -0700, Bob Lounsbury wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've had etch installed on my iBook G3 dual-usb for several months and
> > everything has been working perfectly. Except, the other day when I
> > booted up my computer wireless didn't work and when I looked in
> > Desktop->Administration->Networking my wireless card was listed as
> > inactive. So I activated it and pointed it to my wireless network with
> > DHCP and everything seemed to work, but it still wouldn't connect or
> > find/detect any wireless networks.
>
> Changes done to your system settings before wireless broke?
>
> Did you install new software before wireless stopped working?
>
> *Provided* you didn't install new software or change settings:
>
> This is where I'd check the networking devices: Wireless router,
> wireless card etc.
>
> Do you still have some OSX installed? If yes: is wireless working on
> that system?
>
> Or do you have some Apple hardware testing DVD for your computer?
>
> What does
> grep eth /var/log/messages
> say after you tried to connect your computer to the wireless network
> (provided your radio card is called something like eth<whatever>) ?
>
> Sometimes even reinstalling some package might help, IIRC ... (?)
>
> Best Regards
> Wolfgang

Sorry for the delayed response I've been traveling the past few days for work.

As to the wireless problem, nothing was installed/changed/upgraded
before wireless stopped working.

I am dual-booting OSX and yes the wireless is working perfectly there.
So I know there is no problem with the wireless card or network, only
Debian.

I ran the grep command and eth2 is my wireless and it says: "localhost
kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth2: link is not ready".

Thanks for the help.

Bob