Re: localhost kernel: ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0

On Aug 29 2007, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I have installed smartmontools using Fink and the result of the short
> test is :
>
> gslc12|charles|$ smartctl -l selftest /dev/disk0
> smartctl version 5.33 [powerpc-apple-darwin8.10.0] Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce Allen
> Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
>
> === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
> SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
> Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
> # 1  Short offline       Completed: read failure       60%      4449         2865202
> # 2  Short offline       Completed: read failure       60%      4449         2865202
> # 3  Offline             Aborted by host               70%         0         -

Hummm, bad result. As I suspected last week, it was something of a
defective drive. :-(

> Is there a risk of damaging further the disk by performing a long
> test?

There is a small possibility, but, in general, I wouldn't say an
incisive yes, as the test may be aborted at the first strange noise that
you hear.

> There is some non-backuped data on this disk, and although I can
> afford losing it, I would prefer not...

Of course losing it is not the preferred way.

> Many thanks for your help,

You are very welcome.

Regards, Rogério Brito.