Re: Please unban S. Luther from debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org

Jimmy Johnson wrote:
Don Armstrong wrote:
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
So if someone would let us understand why Sven was banned in the
first place, then may be this whole sad affair can be brought to
some kind of closure.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2007/08/msg00115.html is the
warning which was sent from listmaster to Sven; for failing to heed it
the ban was reinstated.

Don, that post has nothing to do with why Sven was banned in the "first
place", I'm talking about last year.

As far as  I know Debian PPC Users are being hurt by the decision to ban
Sven and I want to know why? Please.

Yes -- I've only been reading the list for 6 months or so and to me this action looks quite arbitrary and extreme -- IMHO of course -- some background would be very welcome. List regulars say things like "we all know" and "it's obvious" -- but to me at least it isn't.

If you wish to complain about the ban, e-mailing
listmaster@lists.debian.org is the appropriate response, not mailing
this list.

I've done that, yesterday, but received no reply as yet.

I'm not complaining about the ban, I want to know why Sven has been
banned and I'm not talking about him being banned from this list, it
seems to me that Sven has been banned as a Developer too and I want to
know why?

Yes!  Please tell us.

And Jörg Sommer wrote:

> Hi David,
> David Moreno Garza <damog@espiral.org.mx> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 20:53 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
>>> nobody retracted his support to his comeback
>> How are you so sure about that?
>>
>> More people and DDs privately asked listmasters to place the ban again,
>> than the users asking for the ban to be lifted.
>
> Can you give names and numbers? Telling us there where some guys they
> asked for reinstate the ban of Sven is not very reviewable. Why such
> decision is not made public?

I don't recall anybody asking for an email poll. I think action as drastic as this, directed to somebody whose technical competence has never been questioned, needs some sort of public voting process on the list. We're not talking about a "net kook" here.

The vast majority of list messages I read asked for the ban to be lifted, and when Sven was back there were a few messages asking him to tone it down a bit -- but I don't remember any asking for the ban to be reinstated. To me Sven always appeared polite and never resorted to extreme language, and only made reference to past events when it was relevant to his technical contributions -- though of course he was hurt by what had happened (which I'm still wanting to know about).

So if somebody could give us newcomers a bit more information, we'd be very grateful -- and I for one don't want to have to keep asking. Like everyone I want to get on with technical stuff and don't really want to have to post any more on this topic.

Cheers,  Mike.

          Mike Hore        mike_hore@aapt.net.au