Re: PowerBook G4 and powermanagement

On Aug 20 2007, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 13:52 +0200, Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> > Anyone got any idea for either of this problems?  Thanks in
> > advance!
>
> Your kernel is not configured with suspend-to-disk included, but I
> can't recommend doing so either.

Hi. I can't comment o Gerfried's problems, but I have two things which
are severely annoying in a recent Debian install:

* suspend to RAM only works with kernel 2.6.21 (I tried the one that is
  shipped with Debian).

  Upgrading to the 2.6.22 (which is in unstable) or compiling my own
  2.6.23-rc3 (taken from kernel.org) doesn't let me sleep: it
  unfortunately doesn't seem (at least with the 23-rc3 kernel) related
  to X, since I booted into single user mode and still couldn't sleep.

  All that I got were some green letters saying that the computer were
  going to sleep on a console/framebuffer and then, immediately, I saw
  that the ethernet got upped again, the ide drive was reconfigured with
  DMA etc, like if I waked up the computer (but I didn't, of course).

* Since my iBook is an iBook G3, I am more or less desperate to get any
  Operating system that is reasonably comfortable for typing things with
  LaTeX and using Debian would be the best.

  Ubuntu is a second option, but as I already talked with Gerfried
  privately, the Ubuntu installation just dies at the initramfs stages,
  which, as I was reminded on IRC, is just a consequence of them not
  caring for PowerPC anymore. :-(

  For this reason alone, I want to help the PowerPC port of Debian to be
  as much in shape as I can if I get past the New Maintainers' process.

  MacOS X as a very low third option, since it's X system sucks badly,
  especially because it's connections to, say, Debian systems with X
  forwarding are *soooo* slow compared to connections made if I had
  Debian installed.

  But the problem that prevents me from working with Debian on this
  computer is that I don't have wired access on the university and I
  only have a D-Link DWL-122G USB dongle.

  I tried to install the modules for it from the rt2x00 project, but the
  best thing that I got when I did an "ip link set rausb0 up" was a
  tremendous amount of CPU usage. :-(

  I can't wait for these drivers to be more included into the Linus
  kernel, as more people would take care of endianness things.

  Whew! What a journey. :-(

  And unfortunately, Mac parts here are not common (I would be willing
  to work with just a first generation Airport card, but I can't find it
  here were I live).

Regards, Rogério Brito.