Re: PReP booting

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 08:38:23AM -0500, Greg Trigg wrote:
> After much pain, sweat, tears and two internet service providers, I've
> managed to install Debian Etch on my RS/6000.  Now I just have to figure

Which RS6000 model is this ? a PReP one or a CHRP one ?

> out how to make it bootable.  The first partition is type 41 PReP boot.
> On the root partition I have /boot with kernel 2.6.18... and ram disk,
> etc...  The directions (written for sarge) that I've been following say
> to copy vmlinuz to the PReP partition using 'dd if=... of=...'  Since I
> don't have vmlinuz, I assumed the kernel image.  So, I copied the kernel
> image to the PReP partition and rebooted as suggested.

You should have mkvmlinuz installed, and it should have produced a
/boot/vmlinuz kernel, which you can dd to the PReP partition.

I guess though that you don't use the debian kernel but your own. In
this case, remember us why you are not using the debian kernel, and
maybe file a bug report about this issue if it didn't work for you ?

If it is a CHRP box, you could install yaboot and move the yaboot
executable onto your PReP partition.

> Obviously, it didn't work or I wouldn't be writing this.  Now that I'm

You copied the vmlinux kernel, right ? This one is the plain elf kernel,
what you need is the vmlinuz, which includes a small chrp or prep boot
wrapper.

> going through the painful process of building a live system again to
> work on it, I really want to do things right this time.  I have a boot
> folder with all the files I would normally need on a PC.  Can anyone
> help me on what to put on the PReP partition and how to get it there?

I will gladly help you out. see above if it helps.

> Once I get this thing to boot, I'll just copy the system to the disks of
> the other 3 hard drives I have.
>
> The directions I've been following are here:
> http://www.ifh.ee.ethz.ch/~rharbers/rs6000/rs6000.html
>
> Perhaps I just made my boot partition too large.  I've seen on a Woody
> install page that anything greater than 10Meg will cause problems.  Just
> in case, I've just partitioned a second disk this morning with a PReP
> partition of 10Meg.  I'm still trying to get the needed files loaded to
> format the second disk with ext3.  I sure wish I'd done all this before
> rebooting.
>
> Anyways, I need to know what to put on the PReP partition and how to get
> it there.  Am I even close?

not really. We need more information about your setup though to help you
more clearly.

Friendly,

Sven Luther