Re: Powerpc netinst CD when selected install64 installs only powerpc not powerpc64 kernel image!

(Dropping debian-cd as this is not really an issue for them.)

On Thursday 24 May 2007 12:09, Michal Semler wrote:
> Today I found serious error in powerpc netinst image, where I selected
> install64 to install 64bit kernel. Installation continues and finishes
> well, but system is unable to be booted from harddrive.
>
> After a while checking, I found out, that installer installed
> linux-kernel-2.6.18-4-powerpc.deb image instead of
> linux-kernel-2.6.18-4-powerpc64.deb which results everytime into
> not-booting machine.
>
> Can anybody help me how to boot with rescue64 to my installed /dev/sda2
> partition? I am not familiar with yaboot.

I'm afraid I cannot help you with repairing your current install as I'm
not familiar with powerpc, but I would like to try to find out why the
wrong kernel was installed.

Exactly what netinst image were you using? Official Etch or a daily build?
Please give the full URL of the image you used.

AFAICT, the powerpc64 should be included on the netinst CD. Could you
verify that it is? It should be in /cdrom/pool/main/l/linux-2.6.

If it is there, could you send us the syslog for the installation? You can
find it /var/log/installer on the installed system. Please send it
gzipped!

Cheers,
FJP