Re: Powerbook5,7 (G4 17") and USB 2.0 disk drive

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 05:04:43PM -0400, Andrew J. Barr wrote:

> On Wed, 23 May 2007 22:50:45 +0200
> Sven Luther <luther@debian.org> wrote:
> > The USB specs mention 0.5 A at 5V, so around 2.5W. This is not enough
> > to drive a harddisk, especially a 3.5" one.
>
> It's a mobile (2.5") disk.
>
> > This is what makes the firewire solution so much superior to the usb
> > one, since it can usually provide upto around 18W if i remember well.
> > Just get yourself an enclosure which provide both USB and firewire,
> > and use the firewire one on your mac.
>
> Are there firewire models that are easily portable? One of the

I have a : EX-9008 :

  http://www.exsys.ch/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=42_44&products_id=154&language=en

There sure are other of the kind, easily available in your area. It even
comes with a nice etui to keep it, and a second usb to power cable for
the USB side.

> attractive aspects of the unit I have now is it's small size. It isn't
> much larger than the 2.5" disk it encloses.

Exactly the same kind, just with a firewire connector.

And using it as firewire disk is neat. I put my powerbook disk in it
after my powerbook died, and now can access all my old data. It even
goes to sleep when not used and other nice stuff.

Mmm, they even have a 1.8" disk enclosure, USB only though.

Friendly,

Sven Luther