Powerbook5,7 shuts down on battery when lid closed

I am experiencing an odd issue with my Powerbook5,7. When the machine is
on battery and the lid is closed for some amount of time, the machine
shuts down. I haven't seen this happen enough to know exactly what is
happening, but I was hoping that someone would recognize what I'm
talking about and possibly explain the issue a bit further and maybe a fix.

--
Andrew J. Barr
(614) 581-3537 (Verizon Wireless)

carrying the cross."