successful upgrade/install of Etch on powerbook3500/G3 (November 1997)

hi

i have finally booted my original powerbookG3
(aka 3400 form factor). use a custom kernel 2.6.18-2
that i actually built last november for 3400.

seems the black screen i got trying to boot either
sarge or etch stock kernels before was related to
ramdisk. no ramdisk used in what i am booting now.

just did dist-upgrade from sarge base and everything
looks good. actually pretty good.

machine has 160MB RAM and a new 20GB Samsung HD w/8MB
cache.

the console comes up in greyscale mode and a little
bit dim, however X starts up fine in colors and
nice and bright. image quality is as good or better
than on my pismo powerbook except there is
still occasional discoloration (it was typical of the
model).

from searching the web it was rumored this machine
could not boot any 2.6 kernels. well not so.

but i did need another computer to build the kernel
and then a way to get the modules transfered. have
to thank ydl2.3 for the latter and etch on a G4 for
the former.

Be a PS3 game guru.