Re: PowerBook disk drive

"Andrew J. Barr" <andrew.james.barr@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> Can someone tell me why Apple computer hard drives, at least in laptops,
> are very slow? E.g. is the drive or the controller? Responsiveness in my
> Powerbook still seems rather bad, and from what I can tell it seems to

Years ago I upgraded my PB G4 500 hard drive from the original 5400
RPM 30 GB disk to a 7200 RPM 60 GB disk, both IBM drives. The new disk
had a lower latency and higher throughput (comparing both datasheets
-- and same power consumption too).

The machine instantly felt 2 times faster with the new disk.

And now I'm just considering doing something alike with my MacBook
Pro, because the disk is just so slow. Apple have a really hard time
properly balancing the performance in their machines.

JB.

--
 Julien BLACHE - Debian & GNU/Linux Developer - <jblache@debian.org>

 Public key available on <http://www.jblache.org> - KeyID: F5D6 5169