Re: unable to boot linux-2.6.18.4

Sven Luther <luther@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 01:18:01PM +0800, William Xu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In order to get airport extreme working, i just built linux-2.6.18.4.
>> Its .config is mainly based on 2.6.15.5(current kernel). When i try to
>
> The current debian kernels are etch's 2.6.18 and sid's 2.6.20. If i
> where you, i would install the etch 2.6.18 kernel, and if you really
> need something custom use the etch source package to build your own
> kernel, starting from the /boot/config-2.6.18... file.

It looks like i seldom have luck on installing pre-compiled kernel
provided by debian.. This time again.

What does this error mean?

,----[ apt-get install linux-image-2.6.18-4-powerpc ]
| Reading package lists... Done
| Building dependency tree... Done
| Suggested packages:
|   linux-doc-2.6.18
| The following NEW packages will be installed:
|   linux-image-2.6.18-4-powerpc
| 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 513 not upgraded.
| Need to get 0B/16.6MB of archives.
| After unpacking 51.4MB of additional disk space will be used.
| Preconfiguring packages ...
| (Reading database ... 174438 files and directories currently installed.)
| Unpacking linux-image-2.6.18-4-powerpc (from .../linux-image-2.6.18-4-powerpc_2.6.18.dfsg.1-12_powerpc.deb) ...
| Could not find mkinitramfs-kpkg mkinitrd.yaird. at /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst line 238, <STDIN> line 9.
| Ok, Aborting
| dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-4-powerpc_2.6.18.dfsg.1-12_powerpc.deb (--unpack):
|  subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
| Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
| run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/mkvmlinuz
| Errors were encountered while processing:
|  /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.18-4-powerpc_2.6.18.dfsg.1-12_powerpc.deb
| E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
| think-different:/home/william#
`----

Nevertheless, i extract the config file from it, and is being compiled
it now. This config seems including way too much staffs, the compilation
takes more than *two hours*...

And, when rebooting the new kernel fails at:

,----
| VFS: Cannot open root device "hdc4" on unknown block (0, 0)
| Please append a correct "root=" boot option
| Kernel panic, not syncing:
| VFS: unable to moiunt root fs on unknown block (0, 0)
`----

Above these lines, i notice that the new kernel has tagged ATA hard disk
as /dev/hda. So this seems to be the problem.

While, my current partition table is:

,----[ sudo fdisk -l ]
| /dev/hdc
|         #                    type name                 length   base     ( size )  system
| /dev/hdc1     Apple_partition_map Apple                    63 @ 1        ( 31.5k)  Partition map
| /dev/hdc2         Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap              1600 @ 64       (800.0k)  NewWorld bootblock
| /dev/hdc3         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                 260544 @ 1664     (127.2M)  Linux swap
| /dev/hdc4         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root               12311320 @ 262208   (  5.9G)  Linux native
| /dev/hdc5               Apple_HFS macimage            6291456 @ 12573528 (  3.0G)  HFS
| /dev/hdc6               Apple_HFS macosx              7888816 @ 18864984 (  3.8G)  HFS
| /dev/hdc7               Apple_HFS source             31851320 @ 26753800 ( 15.2G)  HFS
|
| Block size=512, Number of Blocks=58605120
| DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

`----

It's a bit weird that the ATA hard disk has been tagged as /dev/hdc
since the first time installation of debian by cdrom. But later i always
upgrade linux kernel by hand, and without much problem up to 2.6.15.

To solve the kernel panic, i tried appending "root=" option on yaboot,

,----
| vmlinux root=/dev/hda4
`----

But it still causes similar error. :(

>> boot the newly built kernel, it dies even before loading the kernel:
>>
>>     Can't read Elf e_ident/e_type/e_machine info
>
> This is a yaboot warning, saying it has trouble finding the elf header
> from the kernel. My first guess is that either your kernel is not an elf
> file, and something went horribly wrong, or more probably your
> yaboot.conf points at the wrong file, and not at the actual kernel.
> Maybe you have a dangling symlink or something ?

They are all okay, AFAIK.

ps. It's ibook G4 1G, 12.1' here.

--
William

Eli and Bessie went to sleep.
In the middle of the night, Bessie nudged Eli.
	"Please be so kindly and close the window.  It's cold outside!"
Half asleep, Eli murmured,
	"Nu ... so if I'll close the window, will it be warm outside?"