Re: Beryl - do I dare?

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 21:40:16 +0200, Taylor Oliphant wrote:

> Anyone have Beryl running? I have a powerbook g4 and would love to get
> it up and running.

I use compiz, as I think Beryl has just way too much stuff going on. And
no, I never took the time to configure it properly :)

Anyway, as suggested, if you have an ATi based laptop, enabling AIGLX and
compositing in xorg.conf will be enough. If you have an nvidia based one,
tough luck, forget about it.

Here are the changes I made in my xorg.conf (iBook G4 with ATi 9200):

Section "Device"
        [...]
        Option          "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        [...]
        Option          "AIGLX"         "true"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
         Option         "Composite"     "Enable"
EndSection

Restart your X server, log in, start a terminal and type:

$ sudo apt-get install compiz
$ compiz --replace gconf &

If everything works, you can add it to your DE startup scripts.

--
Best Regards, Jack
Linux User #264449