hibernate, suspend and s2both support

[please cc me]

Hi,

I'm the maintainer of uswsusp and pm-utils (which isn't in the archive
yet). pm-utils will be used by hal/gnome-power-manager to suspend or
hibernate. At the moment I'm looking at how to fold-in support for
uswsusp, which can also do 's2both', which means writing the system
state to disk before suspending to ram. Leaving you with the possibility
to resume when you run out of batteries. To support that too for ppc I
have some question about how hibernate/suspend is done on a ppc.

AFAIK, one can suspend-to-ram by using some ioctl's on the PMU. (Do all
ppc's have a PMU? What about ppc64?)
Hibernation can be done in the usual way. And s2both is unsupported.
Also s2ram doesn't need any quirks done to the graphics card, which is
so often needed for x86 machines.

If this is all true, could someone try to build 's2ram' and 's2both'
from the following tarball and run it? (no guarantees, on your own
risk, etc;)

http://www.famdijkstra.org/~tdykstra/suspend_pmu.tar.bz2

Thanks for testing.

grts Tim