Re: Netinstall grief on iMac G5

I wrote:

Now to work out what CD driver package I should be using...
I'm still stuck at this point. My iMac G5 has its CD-ROM drive on the ATA bus. What am I supposed to do when the installer asks me what driver to use?

I really need some newbie-type step-by-step help on doing a netinstall -- like even when I get to the shell prompt, what do I do next to get, say, KDE installed?
The manual seems a bit unimformative.

I really need some help here.

The installer sets up my language, keyboard etc. It then says it can't detect a "common CD-ROM drive". I have no idea why it's trying to do this at this point, or why it can't detect the drive it's just booted off. The manual doesn't mention this step, as far as I can tell. Anyway it asks me if I want to install a driver on a floppy (which of course the iMac doesn't have), or do a netinstall. Well of course I'm TRYING to do a netinstall!!! It also says I can manually pick a driver from the /dev directory. On looking there, I don't see anything that looks like ATA. I can't skip this step. All I seem to be able to do after that is launch the ash shell, which only has a very few commands. It never asks about my network. I'm totally stuck at this point.

Cheers,  Mike.

         Mike Hore        mike_hore@aapt.net.au