Re: unable to install Mozilla-vlc plugin

Eddy Petrișor wrote:
> brian wrote:
>> --- Steffen Thoss <steffen@thoss4you.de> wrote:
>
>>> Hi !
>>>
>>> I'm trying to install the mozilla vlc plugin for my
>>> Debian unstable on
>>> my PowerBook to play some streaming video with
>>> Firefox.
>>> I always get the following message:
>>>
>>> takeda:~# apt-get install mozilla-plugin-vlc
>>> Reading package lists... Done
>>> Building dependency tree... Done
>>> Some packages could not be installed. This may mean
>>> that you have
>>> requested an impossible situation or if you are
>>> using the unstable
>>> distribution that some required packages have not
>>> yet been created
>>> or been moved out of Incoming.
>>>
>>> Since you only requested a single operation it is
>>> extremely likely that
>>> the package is simply not installable and a bug
>>> report against
>>> that package should be filed.
>>> The following information may help to resolve the
>>> situation:
>>>
>>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>>   mozilla-plugin-vlc: Depends: vlc-nox (=
>>> 0.8.6-svn20061012.debian-1)
>>> but 0.8.6-svn20061012.debian-1.1 is to be installed
>>> E: Broken packages
>>>
>>> Does that mean that I have to install
>>> 0.8.6-svn20061012.debian-1 to get
>>> the plugin insta
>>> lled ? If so how can I prevent apt-get installing
>>> version 1.1 and
>>> install version 1 of vlc-nox ?
>
> This means the package in question is not binNMU safe[1] and a bug should be
> submitted against that package - which seems to be vlc[2].
>
> If you care to make a patch, the Vcs repo is specified:
>
> eddy@bounty ~ $ apt-cache showsrc mozilla-plugin-vlc | grep -E
> '(Package|Maint|Vcs)'
> Package: vlc
> Maintainer: Sam Hocevar (Debian packages) <sam+deb@zoy.org>
> Vcs-Svn: svn://svn.videolan.org/pkg-multimedia/unstable/vlc/
>

>> one way could be to find the debian-1 version on the
>> debian package page and download it manually, if
>> it is there (maybe in testing...), install it with
>> dpkg -i *debian-1.deb before running the apt-get
>> as before.
>
> There is probably a good reason for the NMU upload[2] which usually is a
> rebuild due to some library transition.

Err, sorry, I was talking sutpidities. The package was not binNMU-ed, but NMU-ed.

And the reason for the NMU is that the exact package you want is broken:

 vlc  (0.8.6-svn20061012.debian-1.1) unstable; urgency=high

   * Non-maintainer upload.
   * remove broken package mozilla-plugin-vlc. Closes: #400720, #403022

 -- Andreas Barth <aba@not.so.argh.org>  Sat, 23 Dec 2006 19:17:40 +0000

Which was confirmed by the maintainer in some later version:

 vlc  (0.8.6-svn20061012.debian-2) unstable; urgency=high

   * Maintainer upload.
   * Acknowledge previous NMUs by Andreas Barth. Thanks.
     (Closes: #405425, #400720, #403022).

- --
Regards,
EddyP