Re: no way to boot from mobile firewire hdd?

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 13:33 +0900, 2g wrote:
> since my iBookG4's internal hdd got dead
> bought
> http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10558
> could happily restore osx and boot from it
> but installing debian nor ubuntu seem to fail at
> installing yaboot process
>
> well trying to install the bootstrap to the external hdd
> is stupid anyway?
> weird thing is that
> option boot doesn't show neither osx nor debian on the external
> but osx on it boots anyway
>
> then there's no way to boot debain from this external HDD?
> even if i could
> nothing like yaboot oriented dual(choosing with only one key) thing
> available?

It can be made to work though I suspect none of the installers will do
it properly by default, that is you'll have to hack a bit around.

Basically, if you set it up so that it boots with an initrd that can
mount root by label, it should work. Then, you have to hack around the
yaboot config files to get to the right OF path.

Now, another option is if the external drive you just bought is an IDE
2.5" laptop drive, just to swap it with your internal one :-)

Ben.