Re: ftp.debian.org: Please remove numactl for alpha/powerpc from unstable

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 15:57 +1100, Ian Wienand wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 03:47:25PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > Ugh ? Is there a replacement ? numactl is useful on 64 bits powerpc
> > machines. Or is numactl itself being replaced by something else ?
>
> The latest libnuma depends on, in particular, the migrate_pages system
> call, which isn't wired up for power/ppc (at least in 2.6.18).  Since
> that call went in a long time ago by kernel standards and nobody did
> this yet, I figured nobody was testing/using it.
>
> Originally libnuma had a hard-coded syscall number for power, but that
> hardcoded number has been replaced in the kernel by something totally
> unrelated.  Thus I removed it because at this point, it's just wrong.

Looks like there is some problems with the ABI of the syscall which
makes things complicated, and is one of the reasons it wasn't hooked up
yet. There's a patch coming soon that should hook it up but I don't know
if it will make 2.6.19. In the meantime, we'll make sure the syscall
number is reserved. It will be 258, next to mbind and currently not
used.

Ben.