Re: bug#390432 - still no boot 2.6.18 here

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:10:13 -0700
"Brian Morris" <cymraegish@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/23/06, Simon Vallet <debian-ppc_user@castalie.org> wrote:

> on the other hand you may have a point about quik. i don't have
> the exact reference for the report so, i don't know, but i do know
> there are a listed quik quirks on the linux-ppc pages, so machine dependencies
> do create some hassles.

Yes -- OF implementations do tend to be very machine-dependent. I
can remember hearing about this kind of problems, but never actually
experienced them, be it on a G3 or on a 6400.

AFAICR, the general solution at that time was to play around with
load-base/real-base settings in OF, but I never really went into the
details. Ben or other people who actually looked into the assembler
bootcode might have more info on this.

> > sjv@tloen:~$ ls -l /boot/vmlinux-2.6.18-sjv1
> > -rwxr-x---  1 root root 5673578 2006-09-24 00:39 /boot/vmlinux-2.6.18-sjv1
> >
> you build this kernel ? how, can you tell please if you did not use stock kernel
> what was that about. are you using initrd , or is this a monolithic, eg self-
> contained image. ( i know i just said it didn't matter but i can use all
> the info i can get, and also i might use my beige to build/ test kernel, even
> though my target is the "g2" class).

This is a monolithic kernel. I never understood the need for an initrd
once you know your hardware (the benefit is clear for distribution
kernels, however) -- I don't have access to the machine right now, but
I'll post the config tonight.

Simon

--
Simon Vallet