Re: can't boot 2.6.17-rc1

Michael Schmitz wrote:
A bisection between 2.6.16 and 2.6.17-rc1 (current GIT tree), which
took quite a few reboots, thinks this is the bad guy:
http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=a0652fc9a28c3ef8cd59264bfcb089c44d1b0e06

I see the same hang on my PowerBook 5,9 (17" G4 HR). Note that I don't
run Debian, but I thought I'd help out.
The patch has a bit too much changes behind it to do a simple revert.

Please add the later commit from Paulus on top of this one (ff2e6d7427...)
and try that one (may be necessary to apply the relevant part manually).

I'm having a bit of trouble with reverting patches and adding new stuff on top, unfortunately. Git is quite new to me. I installed it so I could do a bisection to figure this out.
First result was bogus, not sure about the second one (this one) yet.

I've also seen mention of a new radeonfb - do you have a radeon or nvidia
machine?

This is an ATi-based machine, Mobility 9600 or 9700. Not sure of the exact number. As others have already tried, it doesn't seem to help to switch to OpenFirmware framebuffer. The machine will lock up anyway :/

	Michael

Regards,
Tony.