Re: pbbuttonsd beta on new Powerbook5,8

Hello Matthias,

On  23 Jan, this message from Matthias Grimm echoed through cyberspace:
>> That doesn't seem to work. Input devices with mouseemu stopped:
>> [...]
>> pbbuttonsd opens event0 and event2 only. X has event3 and mice open.
>
> Where have you this information from? /proc ?

>From lsof (devices opened by each process) and /sys (mapping between
event devices and HID devices):

# lsof|grep input
# for i in `ls -d /sys/class/input/input*`;
#

>> So no problem to be expected here, is there? And pbbuttonsd should be
>> able to detect buttons 2&3 as activity, in contrast to mouse movement
>> and button1 (whose event dev is locked by synaptics), since those are
>> created on the new uinput event device, accessible to pbbuttonsd? I
>> haven't noticed this, but I would need to check.
>
> In theory this should all work fine :-)

I am now running:

- pbbuttonsd 0.7.3-5g,
- mouseemu 0.15-2, recompiled locally against headers containg 'latest'
  definition of KEY_UNKOWN

All this results in (hooray...) a working system as expected after a
reboot. As expected meaning Fn'ed keys are all working, and activity is
indeed detected except for first mouse button and mouse movement, which
are grabbed exclusively by the synaptics driver.

Things to check:

- whether Debian's mouseemu indeed has bad define for KEY_UNKOWN (from
  old kernel),
- whether going back to that version of mouseemu renders Fn'ed keys
  non-working again,
- whether all this survives a sleep cycle.

More info as time permits :-)

Cheers, and thanks all for your comments

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |