Re: pbbuttonsd beta on new Powerbook5,8

Hi all,

On  22 Jan, this message from Michael Schmitz echoed through cyberspace:
> Well, the 'mouseemu eats the CPU' bug has been popping up on occasion,
> I thought we had fixed that by now.

Doesn't seem to be the case...

>> Well, no luck, it's not that easy. Neither the fact that mouseemu is
>> running in parallel, nor the order in which thez are started seems to
>> matter.

Correction: it does seem that running mouseemu blocks the special keys,
as well as blocking pbbuttonsd's keyboard activity detection.

> There's a possible race between creation of the uinput device mouseemu
> uses to forward events, and the opening of this device by later apps.

Obvious. However pbbuttonsd does rescan devices, so after the rescan
interval it will catch changes in event devices.

> And there's been problems with the number of event devices being
> checked by either mouseemu or pbbuttonsd (forgot which). And there may
> be input devices that are fake (no real device attached, I have two
> such). Check
> /sys/class/input/input*/name to see what is what, and if the virtual
> devices mouseemu created are really there.

All 32 event devices are there (udev disabled). mouseemu does create
it's event device corresponding to /dev/input/uinput. If mouseemu
wouldn't relay keyboard events, the keyboard wouldn't work at all.

It seems to be more a problem of mouseemu filtering out _some_ events?

> Then check which of these
> pbbuttonsd uses, and if there's any events going over those devices.
> This may sound fuzzy, or even obvious, but I can't give more specific
> hints off the cuff...

As it clearly is mouseemu related, I'll check that path.

>> There is one change, though, I replaced the earlier FN-key patch
>> (http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc/patch?id=3856) with the newer
>> one (http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/linuxppc/patch?id=4127). But I can't
>> se what impact this can have on event detection.
>
> None, I'd hope.

But it seems the earlier patch simply didn't work. Anyway, that part is
working now.

Thanks, and cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |