ifrename

Hi list:

After beginning suffering from interface rename on boot (never happened
before for me until 2.6.15) I decided to install ifrename.

I added two entries like these to /etc/iftab:

# Airport
eth0      mac it's:complete:mac

# Sungem
eth1      mac it's:complete:mac

And I always get this error/warning message from ifrename:

/etc/init.d/ifrename start
Warning: Interface name is `eth0' at line 5, can't be mapped reliably.

Most of the time ifrename works in spite of the message, but some times
it does not work (the wireless iface isn't renamed to eth0 and sungem is
the driver associated with eth0).

Any ideas why this can be happening?
A. Corbi